1. Insurance Requirement. Under the Storage Rental Agreement (the “Agreement”), the Customer is responsible for risk of loss or damage to the storage unit contents, regardless of the cause. I understand that the Mobile Storage Provider Strongly recommends that Customer provide insurance coverage for Customer’s property as the Mobile Storage Provider does not extend insurance to my stored property.
2. Tenant Protection Program Limits and Cost. For payment in addition to monthly rent payment (“Additional Monthly Rent”), Mobile Storage Provider agrees to assume limited liability for loss of or damage to the Customer’s property if the loss or damage (i) occurs while the property is stored in a storage unit rented by the Customer and (ii) is caused by an event listed in Paragraph 3. of this “Addendum”. Mobile Storage Provider’s assumption of limited liability releases the Customer from any written or implied obligation to maintain insurance under the “Agreement”. The Mobile Storage Provider otherwise has no liability for loss or damage to the storage unit contents except as specifically provided in this “Addendum”
When a disc or cylinder lock IS used. If the loss of or damage to the Customer’s property is the result of burglary and if the storage unit was locked with a disc or cylinder lock, the Mobile Storage Provider agrees to assume limited liability for the loss or damage up to the Limit selected below. If the loss of or damage to the Customer’s property was caused by any event listed in Paragraph 3. of this “Addendum” other than burglary, the Mobile Storage Provider agrees to assume limited liability for the loss or damage in excess of $100, up to the Limit selected below.
When disc or cylinder Lock NOT used. The Mobile Storage Provider agrees to assume limited liability for loss of or damage to the Customer’s property in excess of $100, up to the Limit selected below. (Tenant retention is $100 for burglary when a disc or cylinder lock is NOT used)
|Content Protection Options
3. Causes of Loss or Damage. The Mobile Storage Provider assumes liability, up to the limit selected in Paragraph 2. of this “Addendum”, for loss of or damage to the storage unit contents while stored in the storage unit rented by the Customer and caused by any of these events:
- Fire or Lightning.
- Sonic Boom.
- Explosion, including the explosion of gases or fuel within the furnace of any fired vessel or within the flues or passages through which the gases of combustion pass. This cause of loss does not include loss or damage by, rupture, bursting or operation of any one or more pressure-relief devices; or rupture or bursting due to expansion or swelling of the contents of any building or structure, caused by or resulting from water.
- Windstorm or Hail, but not including, frost or cold weather; ice (other than hail), snow or sleet, whether driven by wind or not; or loss or damage to the interior of any building or structure, or to property inside the building or structure, caused by rain, snow, sand or dust, whether driven by wind or not, unless the building or structure first sustains wind or hail damage to its roof or walls through which the rain, snow, sand or dust enters.
- Smoke causing sudden and accidental loss or damage. This cause of loss does not include smoke from agricultural smudging or industrial operations.
- Aircraft or Vehicles, meaning only physical contact of an aircraft, a spacecraft, a self-propelled missile, a vehicle, or an object thrown up by a vehicle, with Customer’s property or with the building or structure containing Customer’s property. This cause of loss includes objects falling from aircraft.
- Riot or Civil Commotion, including, acts of striking employees while occupying the premises described in this “Addendum”; and looting occurring at the time and place of a riot or civil commotion.
- Vandalism, meaning willful and malicious damage to, or destruction of, Customer’s property at the premises described in this “Addendum”.
- Sinkhole Collapse, meaning the sudden sinking or collapse of land into underground empty spaces created by the action of water on limestone or dolomite. This cause of loss does not include the cost of filling sinkholes; or sinking or collapse of land into man-made underground cavities.
- Falling Objects but this cause of loss does not include, objects falling from aircraft; or loss or damage to personal property in the open; or the interior of a building or structure, or property inside a building or structure, unless the roof or an outside wall of the building or structure is first damaged by a falling object. • Weight of Snow, Ice or Sleet but Mobile Storage Provider will not pay for loss or damage to Customer’s property outside of buildings or structures.
- Water Damage, except as excluded under paragraph 5.e Water below.
- Burglary, meaning the unlawful taking of property from inside of a storage unit by a person unlawfully entering or leaving the storage unit as evidenced by marks of forcible entry or exit.
- Collapse meaning only abrupt collapse as described and limited in (1) through (3) below:
- Abrupt collapse means an abrupt falling down or caving in of a building or any part of a building with the result that the building or part of the building cannot be occupied for its intended purpose.
- The Mobile Storage Provider will pay for direct physical loss to the Customer’s property, caused by abrupt collapse of a building or any part of a building that contains that Customer’s property at the premises described in this “Addendum”, and such collapse is caused by one or more of the following:
- Fire or Lightning; Sonic Boom; Explosion; Windstorm or Hail; Smoke; Aircraft or Vehicles; Riot or Civil Commotion; Vandalism; Sinkhole Collapse; Falling Objects; Weight of Snow, Ice or Sleet; or Water Damage; but only as, and to the extent that, those causes of loss are covered by this ‘Addendum”;
- building decay that is hidden from view;
- insects, vermin or rodent damage that is hidden from view;
- weight of people or Customer’s property;
- weight of rain or snow that collects on a roof; or
- use of defective material or methods in construction, remodeling or renovation, if the abrupt collapse occurs during the course of that construction, remodeling or renovation.
- Collapse does not apply to property in:
- a building or any part of a building that is in danger of falling down or caving in, but that has not abruptly fallen down or caved in;
- a part of a building that is standing, even if it has separated from another part of the building; or
- a building that is standing or any part of a building that is standing, even if it shows evidence of cracking, bulging, sagging, bending, leaning, settling, shrinkage or expansion.
4. Property Not Included. The Mobile Storage Provider will not pay for loss or damage to the following kinds of property: Accounts, bills, currency, data, documents, records, deeds, evidences of debt, money, notes, securities or stamps, animals, birds or fish, aircraft, firearms, ammunition, furs, fur garments and garments trimmed with fur, jewelry, watches, precious or semiprecious stones, bullion, gold, goldware, gold plated ware, silver, silverware, platinum or other precious metals or alloys, and photographic equipment, artwork, memorabilia, property while in the custody of other bailees unless the property is at a premises described in this “Addendum”; contraband or other property held for, or in the course of, illegal transportation, sale, or trade, valuable papers and records, including those which exist as electronic data and photographs, property in storage units as to which the Mobile Storage Provider has begun lien enforcement actions against the lessee of the storage unit; or property stored outside of buildings or structures. (Property must be in a locked storage unit for coverage to apply)
5. Additional Protection.
- Rodent, meaning damage caused by rodents to property inside the Customer’s storage unit up to a $500 protection limit. This additional protection only applies when no food or food residue is stored within the storage unit and if rodents are not brought to the storage unit by the Customer. This additional protection does not increase the protection limit selected under Option B.
6. Exclusions: Mobile Storage Provider will not pay for a loss caused directly or indirectly by any of the following. Such loss is excluded regardless of any other cause or event that contributes concurrently or in any sequence to the loss.
- Governmental action, seizure or destruction of property by order of governmental authority. But Mobile Storage Provider will pay for acts of destruction ordered by governmental authority and taken at the time of a fire to prevent its spread, if loss caused by that fire would be covered under this “Addendum”.
- Nuclear Hazard any weapon employing atomic fission or fusion; or nuclear reaction or radiation, or radioactive contamination from any other cause. However if these causes a fire, Mobile Storage Provider will pay for direct loss caused by that fire if that loss would otherwise be covered under this “Addendum”.
- War and Military Action war; including undeclared or civil war, warlike action by a military force, including action in hindering or defending against an actual or expected attack by any government, sovereign or other authority using military personnel or other agents; or insurrection, rebellion, revolution, usurped power or action taken by governmental authority in hindering or defending against any of these.
- Earth Movement Any earth movement such as an earthquake, landslide, or earth sinking, rising or shifting. But if loss or damage by fire or explosion results from such earth movement, Mobile Storage Provider will pay for loss caused by that fire or explosion if that loss would otherwise be covered under this “Addendum”, volcanic eruption, explosion or effusion. But if loss by fire or volcanic action results, the Mobile Storage Provider will pay for that resulting loss. Loss by volcanic action means direct loss resulting from the eruption of a volcano when the loss is caused by airborne volcanic blast or airborne shock waves, ash, dust or particulate matter; or lava flow. But loss by volcanic action does not include any cost to remove ash, dust or particulate matter that does not cause direct physical loss to the described property. NFP20201130M All volcanic eruptions that occur within any one continuous 168-hour period will constitute a single occurrence. This exclusion applies whether the loss arises from man-made or natural forces.
- flood, which means a general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of normally dry land area from inland or tidal waters;
- surface water, which means the unusual and rapid accumulation of water above the ground surface;
- waves, tides, tidal waves, overflow of any body of water, or their spray, all whether driven by wind or not;
- mudslide or mudflow, which means flowing mud on the surface of normally dry land;
- water that backs up or overflows from a sewer, drain or sump; or
- water under the surface of the ground exerting pressure on, flowing, or seeping through foundations, walls, floors or paved surfaces, basements, whether paved or not; or doors, windows or other openings.
But if loss by fire or explosion results, Mobile Storage Provider will pay for that resulting loss if that resulting loss would otherwise be covered under this “Addendum”.
This exclusion applies whether the loss arises from man-made or natural forces.
This exclusion applies whether or not the event causing the loss results in widespread damage or affects a widespread area.
f. Mobile Storage Provider will not pay for loss caused by, resulting from, or consisting of any of the following:
- Delay, loss of use, loss of market or any other consequential loss.
- Dishonest acts by, the you, or any of your employees (including leased employees), partners, members, trustees, officers or authorized representatives, anyone else with an interest in the property, or their employees or authorized representatives, anyone else (other than a carrier for hire) to whom you entrust the property. This exclusion applies whether or not such persons are acting alone or in collusion with other persons, and whether or not such acts occur during the hours of employment. This exclusion does not apply to acts of destruction by your employees (including leased employees), but theft by such employees is not covered.
- Shortage found upon taking inventory, unexplained loss, or mysterious disappearance.
- Processing or work performed on Customer’s property. But the Mobile Storage Provider will pay for direct loss or damage caused by fire or explosion resulting from such processing or work, if that loss would otherwise be covered under this ”Addendum”.
- Artificially generated electric current creating an electric disturbance (including arcing) within Customer’s property. But the Mobile Storage Provider will pay for loss caused by a resulting fire or explosion if that loss would otherwise be covered under this “Addendum”.
- The cost to research, replace or restore converted data, programs, or instructions, used in any data processing operation, including the media or materials on which the data, programs, or instructions are recorded.
g. The Mobile Storage Provider will not pay for a loss caused by or resulting from any of the following. But if loss by a cause of loss results, the Mobile Storage Provider will pay for that resulting loss if that loss would otherwise be covered under this “Addendum”.
- weather conditions. But this exclusion applies only if weather conditions contribute in any way with a cause or event excluded in Water exclusion above to produce the loss.
- wear and tear, any quality in the property that causes it to damage or destroy itself, gradual deterioration, insects, vermin or rodents. This exclusion does not apply to the extent that protection is provided under Section 5. Additional Protection, Rodent.
- mechanical breakdown or failure of Customer’s property;
- faulty, inadequate or defective design, specifications, workmanship, repair, materials, or maintenance of Customer’s property.
h. Transit Mobile Storage Provider will not pay for damage to customer’s stored property incurred while the storage unit is in transit or in the process of being physically moved by the storage customer, Mobile Storage Provider or another party.
7. Maximum Amount the Mobile Storage Provider Will Pay. The Mobile Storage Provider will pay the lesser of the actual cost paid by the Customer to repair the damaged property or the actual cost of replacing the lost or damaged item with an item of similar quality. The maximum amount the Mobile Storage Provider will pay for all loss or damage to the storage unit contents is the Limit selected in Paragraph 2.
8. Concealment, Misrepresentation or Fraud The Mobile Storage Provider will not assume any liability for loss of or damage to your stored property if you have fraudulent statements or engaged in fraudulent conduct in connection with any loss or damage for which protection is sought under this “Addendum”.
9. Duties In The Event Of Loss
You must see that the following are done in the event of loss or damage to Customer’s property.
- Notify the police if a law may have been broken.
- Give us or an authorized claim representative prompt notice of the loss or damage. Include a description of the property involved.
- As soon as possible, give us or an authorized claim representative a description of how, when and where the loss or damage occurred.
- Take all reasonable steps to protect the Customer’s property from further damage, and keep a record of your expenses necessary to protect the Customer’s property, for consideration in the settlement of the claim. This will not increase the Limit of Insurance. However, the Mobile Storage Provider will not pay for any subsequent loss or damage resulting from a cause of loss that is not a cause of loss. Also, if feasible, set the damaged property aside and in the best possible order for examination.
- You will not, except at your own cost, voluntarily make a payment, assume any obligation, or incur any expense without our consent.
- As often as may be reasonably required, permit us or an authorized claim representative to inspect the property proving the loss or damage and examine your books and records. Also permit us or an authorized claim representative to take samples of damaged and undamaged property for inspection, testing and analysis, and permit us to make copies from your books and records.
- The Mobile Storage Provider or an authorized claim representative may examine any Customer under oath, while not in the presence of any other Customer and at such times as may be reasonably required, about any matter relating to this insurance or the claim, including an insured’s books and records. In the event of an examination, a Customer’s answers must be signed.
- Send us or an authorized claim representative a signed, sworn proof of loss containing the information the Mobile Storage Provider or an authorized claim representative request to settle the claim. You must do this within 60 days after our request. The Mobile Storage Provider or an authorized claim representative will supply you with the necessary forms.
- Immediately send us copies of any demands, notices, summonses or legal papers received in connection with the claim or suit.
- Cooperate with us or an authorized claim representative in the investigation or settlement of the claim.
The value of property will be the least of the following amounts, the actual cash value of that property, the cost of reasonably restoring that property to its condition immediately before loss or damage; or the cost of replacing that property with substantially identical property. In the event of loss or damage, the value of property will be determined as of the time of loss or damage. In case of loss or damage to any part of a pair or set we may repair or replace any part to restore the pair or set to its value before the loss or damage or pay the difference between the value of the pair or set before and after the loss or damage.
11. Failure to Pay Rent. If the Customer fails to pay all Monthly Rent, Additional Monthly Rent, and Fees due under the Agreement by the Monthly Due Date, the selected Tenant Protection Program Option will be cancelled without further notice to the Customer. The Mobile Storage Provider will not be responsible for any loss or damage to any of the Customer’s stored property from any event or cause. Upon payment of all amounts due and owing, the Mobile Storage Provider, at its sole discretion, may reinstate the Tenant Protection Program Option for the Customer’s stored property.
12. Cancellation. The Customer may cancel participation in the Tenant Protection Program by sending the Mobile Storage Provider ten (10) days’ advance written notice of cancellation. The Mobile Storage Provider may cancel the Customer’s participation by giving the Customer thirty (30) days’ advance written notice of cancellation.
13. Filing a Claim
- Notify the manager of the Mobile Storage Provider when a loss is discovered. You must report the loss within 60 days of discovery.
- Contact the police if the loss is due to burglary, vandalism, malicious mischief or vehicle collision. A police report must be obtained by the tenant.
- Secure remaining property to prevent further loss.
- Do not discard damaged property until a claims adjuster has contacted you and advised that these may be discarded. If this is not possible, take a photograph or video of the items(s) before discarding them.
- Report your claim at:
Toll Free: 877-836-1555
Neither the Lessor nor the leasing representative is an insurance agent. This is NOT an insurance policy and the Lessor is not an insurance company. The Lessor shall perform the obligations described in this addendum